Monday, April 4, 2011

Gluten Free Pizza Crust

This recipe has passed the test.  My family loves it and neighbors too.  It can be very filling especially if you use the bean flour.  I got it off the web and changed it to to meet my needs.  I didn't find much difference when I took out the yeast so I make it yeast free.  If you want to try it with yeast add one tablespoon and warm up the milk to activate the yeast.  When I get my new USB cord I will put a picture.


Gluten Free Pizza Dough

1 1/3 brown rice flour (I use garbanzo/fava bean flour) 
1 cup tapioca flour
4  teaspoons guar gum (or xantham gum, or agar agar)
1  teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon italian seasoning
3  teaspoon sugar or 1 teaspoon honey or 1 teaspoon agave syrup (I'm sure you could use Stevia too, I just haven't tried it yet)
2 teaspoon olive oil
2 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 1/3 cup rice milk or other dairy alternative

Directions:

 Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.  Lightly oil a cookie sheet or pizza pan (without holes). In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.  In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients.  Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix together with a mixer.  The dough will be sticky.  Add some tapioca starch (or other gluten free flour/powder) to your hands and spread it on the greased cookie sheet/pizza pan. Shape it into the shape you want—12 in round pizza, rectangle shape of a cookie sheet, etc. Bake pizza crust for 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Spread pizza crust with your favorite sauce and toppings. Bake another 10 to 12 minutes (depending on your oven and how crispy you like your crust).

I have frozen this crust too and it freezes well.  It's a quick gluten free lunch that I send to school with my kids.  Who doesn't love pizza for lunch?


No comments:

Post a Comment