Monday, April 4, 2011

Egg Free Mayonnaise

With one of my sons allergic to eggs in addition to having him be dairy free and gluten free, I am under more pressure to come up with ideas for replacement foods.  I have learned that when you are limited on ingredients you are forced to use more creativity which is a blessing on most days.  Today was one of those days.  I wanted to find a way for our family to still enjoy tuna sandwiches (the bread is the next step). The idea came to me (from above) to use white beans with the thought of adding mayonnaise seasonings.  I tried it this afternoon by mixing it in with tuna fish and had my daughter taste test (without telling her of course).  I asked her if she could tell me what it needed. "More mayo" was her response.  Not, "Yuck, what is that!" I had my good friend Sharlene try it too and her response was, "It's tuna." That was the response I was looking for.  For dinner, I mixed it with some avacado, lime, onions, and cilantro and pureed it in my Blendtec to make a guacamole that everyone loved.  Having mayo opens up many more food possibilities and variety to our diet.  I am so grateful for inspiration from above.

2 cans white beans or 1 cup dry white beans, soaked overnight/cooked/drained--leave a little for moisture
1 teaspoon fine salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
5 drops stevia (use which ever sweetener you like)
2 1/2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Pinch of paprika

Put in a food processor or blender and puree.

No comments:

Post a Comment