Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Hearty Chicken Veggie Soup

I was skimming through the cookbook, From Pantry to Plate by Weight Watchers and found a recipe that looked good.  I needed to adjust the noodles and I substituted potatoes and left out the tomatoes because I wanted something I could eat for dinner too (on the Candida diet no canned tomatoes).  I also pureed some of the vegetable so my kids wouldn't say, "EEEWW! Onions! When I was done I created my own recipe.  Hooray! and it tastes good.  You can also leave out the chicken if you want a vegetarian dish.


Hearty Chicken Vege Soup

  • 1 tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 2 carrots, (1 chopped, 1 sliced)
  • 1 tsp dried basil 
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 10 oz package of frozen mixed veges or Veggies of your choice ( I used an extra carrot, and green beans)
  • 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
  • 1 medium red potato, chopped
  • 1 can Great Northern beans
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cups of cooked chicken (optional)
Saute the onion, garlic, celery, carrot and basil until the onions soften.  Add a 1 ½ cups of broth and sauteed vegetables to a blender (or use an immersion blender) and puree.  Put the puree into a stock pot.  Add the frozen (or fresh) vegetables, broth, potato, and beans and chicken.  Bring to a boil and then simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.  Salt to taste.

I am serving these tonight with gluten free biscuits from the Gluten Free Cooking School.

No comments:

Post a Comment