Thursday, February 17, 2011

Mediterranean Flat Bread


This was a new discovery today.  I was looking around again flat bread recipe after I saw some Greek pita bread at the store.  I found a recipe for a yeast free pita bread from yeastfreediet.com that I made gluten free by using sorghum and garbanzo-fava bean flour.  I pick up the garbanzo-fava flour at the health food store  because it was on sale and I heard it was great in making gluten free bread.   The recipe looked good and I thought," This is going to be great!" and it was awful.  It needed more salt and I decided to put in some Italian seasoning to see if I could save it.   The test results came back as a winner from my mother, husband and children.  They all loved it especially with the hummus I made. 

1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 cup of sorghum flour
1 cup garbanzo/fava bean flour
¼ tsp sea salt
1 ½ tsp Italian Seasoning
1 egg (or 2 ½ tbsp flax + 3 tbsp water)
1 1/2  cups of distilled or purified water


Pre-heat a frying pan with olive oil on medium/low heat. Mix the rest of the ingredients together.  Pour a large spoonful of batter into frying pan.  Cook like a pancake on medium/low heat.  The batter will be very thick and you will have to spread it out with a spoon or a spatula.  I spread it as thin as I can.  Turn it over when it appears to be cooked.  Once turned over, flatten the bread with a spatula and cook for a few more minutes. Serve with homemade hummus, rice, lettuce, avocado, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment